After building my easel and setting up a studio space, I didn’t get around to working in it for a couple of weeks. But this morning I jumped up when the alarm went off and headed out with coffee mug in hand.
Since I was working with watercolor pencils and had to wait for each layer to dry I bounced between two different projects.
Here’s the watercolor on the easel:
While it’s drying, I cut down a larger sheet of paper and then centered my Tree of Life drawing inside it and taped it to the window with the sun shining directly on it. Sometimes, having a free lightbox is just an amazing convenience!
And here it is once I finished transferring it to the larger paper:
Good progress made before heading off to work. I call that a creative success!
One of the perks of moving out of the RV into an apartment was the chance for me to set up a studio space. I really lucked out with the new place, since it not only has an un-used bedroom but also a shop space with plenty of empty cabinets on the walls!
Here’s the original set-up:
And the current configuration, with my “studio” growing in the corner.
After much debate and research I decided to build an easel instead of purchasing one. This would give me a sturdier, more adjustable product for only a slightly greater cost. Here’s most of the components laid out, waiting to be attached together:
And here’s the completed product, ready to go:
I really should stain or seal it, but I’d rather be painting on the easel, rather then the easel itself!
Here are the plans that I used, if you’re interested in one for yourself. It cost me more than the $15 mentioned in that post, but I don’t think it was much more than $30. There are a lot of different designs and plans out there, but the back leg on this one folds in so it will store fairly flat and that convenience may be pretty nice in the future!
Here is the first work that I did on it…